To be launched in June 2021!!
The master of science program in molecular biotechnology is a highly interdisciplinary program that comprehensively addresses the biochemical, computational, and business fundamentals & applications of biotechnology, with a particular focus on genomics. Experimental, clinical and industrial dimensions are dissected. This two-year program includes theoretical courses, practical courses (arranged as block courses supervised by visiting international experts), internships abroad and a comprehensive research thesis. Research theses can be conducted at or in collaboration with partner laboratories at the University of Zurich (Switzerland) or University of Leipzig (Germany).
The master of science program is a highly quantitative fusion of primarily molecular genomics, molecular biophysics and computer science. Two possible specializations are offered: Track 1 focuses on experimental genomics, and Track 2 focuses on computational genomics.
We expect our graduates to be equipped with the following outcomes at the end of their studies:
• To understand the biological link between the genome and disease
• To understand, develop and apply computational or bioinformatic tools to assist in the (automatic) intepretation of genomic data
• Ability to manipulate the genome or genomic information for biotechnological applications
• To understand privacy, ethical & regulatory concerns surrounding the handling and/or storage of genomic data
• To understand the business of biotechnology; e.g. patenting, strategy, funding & networking
• BSc Honors degree in natural sciences (Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Physics, Biochemistry or Biology) or computer sciences with a strong interest in biology.
• Transcripts from BSc studies.
• Ordinary level certificate or equivalent.
• Two recommendation letters.
• Proof of English proficiency (IELTS and TOEFL). The proof can be waived for proficient students from English-speaking countries.
• Curriculum Vitae (two pages max)
Admission deadline for the first intake: 01 August 2020**
• Course fees: T.B.A
• Need-based & Merit-based scholarships: T.B.A